Database Administrator Remote
- Job Ref:
- Real Cariari, Autopista General Canas, San Jose, CR, CRI
- Technology Development
- Employment Type:
- Full Time
ABOUT UA/UNIFORM ADVANTAGE BRANDS
For over 35 years, UA Brands has been synonymous with fashion-forward specialty apparel for the medical and culinary professions. We are proud to support our valued customers - true heroes giving back with every shift. Our culture includes a long history of philanthropy and community support. Our strong values and unique culture are built on collaborating not merely as coworkers, but as family and friends. From the beginning, we provide candidates an authentic look into how UA Brands embraces their skills and perspectives, all in ways that continue to set us apart.
As part of our expansion plans as a growing, global organization, Costa Rica was chosen to open a Shared Services Center, which started operations in December 2020. While our Costa Rica business office is based in the beautiful and sunny province of Heredia, at a convenient We Work building with wonderful co-working space, most of our global team members in Costa Rica are able to work exclusively from home.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Database Administrator (DBA) is responsible for the continual administration and optimization of the organization’s Microsoft SQL Server instances. Database administration will include all duties of administration, backup solutions, optimization, and system upgrade planning & implementation.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Perform full administration and optimization of our database servers to achieve the following:
- SQL server administration - Company data is accessed via direct queries, reporting tools, replication, web queries and applications against database servers so that SQL servers are performing to business level expectations of performance and reliability.
- Strong monitoring and administration skills are highly necessary via knowledge of extended events, traces, dmvs, blocking tree queries, diagnostic queries, and system tables.
- Knowledge of PowerShell is preferred though will entertain a candidate learning PowerShell with some proven scripts which they have used in current employment.
- Proven knowledge of being able to monitor and identify issues in SQL server using scripts and work together with Senior DBA to optimize from these findings is needed.
- We extensively use replication thus these skills are necessary even if at a beginner level with a willingness to become expert at it.
- Clustering knowledge is a must have as we have our servers in a clustered environment and will continue to move this way.
- SQL Agent - We have extensive use of SQL agent for DBA Maintenance and Developer jobs and ETL Functionality. Candidate should have ability to understand various types of jobs and to create, monitor, and troubleshoot for any issue.
- Backups - strong knowledge of backups and best practices. Proven knowledge of how to manage backups and restores using various methods.
- Security - strong knowledge of SQL server security and security best practices down to the object level is desired. Knowledge of proxies accounts, agent operators and credentials is desired as well so as to securely be able to implement service accounts.
- Upkeeping - Strong knowledge of SQL server CU rollouts and best practices. Ability to test CU patches and implementation. SQL Server versions 2014 to 2019.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Strong SQL server monitoring - administration and optimizing skills with experience to prove it.
- Some knowledge of non-Microsoft databases (Postgres, NoSQL, etc.).
- TSQL skills are a must have, good enough to be able to effectively query the DMVS, system views and create/debug diagnostics TSQL scripts and understand stored procedures.
- Possess a passion for good processes, troubleshooting and discovering things in SQL server to better the system.
- Good personal habits such as communicating on time important events and collaborating in a DBA team (this requires clear communication and a team mentality).
- Some Azure skills are desired with a willingness to learn.
- Internal passion to learn more, grow and be the best.
- Collaborate on a team with other DBAs and a Senior DBA in International office and USA.
- Bachelor’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field is a plus.
- SQL server DBA: 3-5 years (Required).
- Strong administration and tuning experience.
- SQL Server 2016 to 2019 experience is required.
- Bilingual -English/Spanish required.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
REMOTE – Work from Home
Have workplace flexibility - you’ll work exclusively from the comfort of your home with no commute! Remote employees are expected to be online and available during the core business hours for their team. Company computer equipment provided for business use.
PLENTY OF BENEFITS TOO
UA BRANDS offers a full range of benefits that addresses both your health and financial needs.
- Private medical insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program – self-care and support for life’s everyday challenges
- Continuous remote work
- Paid vacations
- Holiday Pay
- Social Security coverage (CCSS)
- Workers Insurance coverage (INS)
- Referral Program - Get paid to work with Friends
- Regular Recognition, Social Activities and Events – Mandatory Fun
UA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUITY EMPLOYER
As an employee of any UA Brands division, you will be part of an established and dynamic organization. We believe that success starts from within, and we are seeking individuals who thrive in an environment that encourages and supports self-management. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at UA Brands will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. UA Brands does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. UA Brands will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.