Apparel Technical Designer
- Job Ref:
- Corporate Office, 101 NE 3rd Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Fashion Design & Development
- Employment Type:
- Full Time
Are you extremely detail-oriented? When it comes to getting things organized, are you the "go-to" person? Do you have experience in fashion and fit? If so, you may be the perfect fit for our Product Design and Development team! UA (Uniform Advantage) Brands is continuing to add talent to our organization.
The Apparel Technical Designer is responsible for bringing apparel designs to life in a tangible manner by working closely with internal and external development sources while maintaining the fit, form, function, and specifications of the garments. Their main responsibility is to be certain that all garments fit properly, perform as designed and that all technical specification information is always up to date throughout all stages of development from concept to production. They are also responsible for working with the Design team to provide additional support as needed including sketch updates, checking garment construction and patterns.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with team members to gain clear design direction and consensus of fit intent. Build style blocks in PLM to ensure size and fit consistency within each brand and across product categories. Also, ensure garments are built in a manner that coincides with the manufacturer's capabilities and the company's cost specifications.
- Execute complete design specification package in PLM including flat sketches, technical sketches, construction details, measurement specifications, appropriate tolerances, garment grading, and placement of graphics or labeling.
- Communicate with in house and overseas vendors regarding garment specifications including: sending out tech packs, measuring samples and size sets against approved specifications, commenting on garment fit and functionality, resubmitting garments until final approval and maintaining an organized system of prototype samples.
- Work alongside in-house pattern-maker to ensure sample quality matches technical specifications. This includes examining the patterns to ensure fit, balance and construction details as well as making sure the pattern-maker understands specialized design and construction details.
- Conduct fit sessions on live models and/or dress forms to ensure proper fit, balance, and construction of sample garments. Bring attention to pattern or sewing changes and photograph, pin and notate them for insertion into tech packs.
- Manage the sample development process from conception to final production approval by creating workflow tracking WIP spreadsheets in Excel, distributing them and following up with all teams involved to meet calendar deadlines.
- Assist the design team by adjusting sketches, adding colorways and materials to Bill of Materials in PLM, and adding any other descriptive or functional details that may be necessary to construct the garment during the production process.
- Collaborate with quality control, production and outside vendors on a daily basis to develop business practices that ensure consistency and quality in a timely manner.
- Microsoft Office 2013- Word, Excel and Outlook
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- Adobe Illustrator CC
- PLM (Younique preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree - Fashion Design, Product Development
- Technical Design experience including knowledge of pattern-making, grading, garment construction, and large scale manufacturing processes in overseas countries
- Knowledge of pattern making, draping, grading
- Expert eye for specing garments and fitting garments on live models
- Analysis of garment construction, manufacturing methods, and quality control procedures
- Ability to multi-task, proactively troubleshoot issues, independently problem solve and work effectively as a team
Watch your email − here’s what happens next:
We are a Drug-Free Workplace.